A typical itinerary for our cooking holiday in Puglia.
Day 1: Welcome to Puglia!
- Arrival and transfer to the historic fortified farmhouse in Ceglie Messapica.
- Visit to the nearby Agriturismo Bellolio, a local farm surrounded by centenary old olive trees.
- Guided tour of the farm and light lunch featuring the very best regional specialties from the farm.
- Return to hotel for a Walking tour through the old age olive groove in the heart of Ceglie Messapica’s countryside.
- Evening drinks and a short briefing about the tour followed by a welcoming feast.
Day 2: Exploring Cisternino, cooking class and tasting
- After breakfast we visit Cisternino, Puglia’s most famous the whitewashed town, known locally as a gastronomic Mecca.
- Here we visit a local family owned workshop of handmade salami for a tasting of regional specialties.
- Savoury cooking class with Gianni & Giuseppina who will teach us how to prepare a selection of typical dishes, including the famous ‘orecchiette cime di rapa’ and polpette (meat balls), as well as some grilled vegetarian side dishes.
- Lunch in a typical fornello restaurant in Cisternino.
- Travel to the stunning town of Martina Franca for wine tasting and a visit to Locorotondo - ‘the city of wine’. Wine tasting and tour of 'I pastini' winery, a historic landmark of the 1700th.
- Return to the hotel for sundowners and dinner.
Day 3: The town of Ostuni, pastries workshop, the caves of Matera
- This morning we visit the historic town of Ostuni, ‘The White City’, for a pastries workshop with a local baker.
- Onwards to Matera, a UNESCO listed town, with lunch at a local restaurant.
- Explore the Sassi (old town) and visit a local craftsman, famous for making stone toys (Fischietti).
- Then it’s a tasting session of regional specialties, including Matera DOC bread, wine and Prosecco.
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 4: Orecchiette pasta making and pizza perfection in Lecce
- Today we visit Alberobello, a UNESCO site. Here we will have an Orecchiette pasta making class with a local “mama”.
- Lunch will be the fruits of our morning’s labour along with other specialties.
- Visit to the astonishing medieval city of Oria and it’s castle.
- Onwards to Lecce, a town praised as the ‘Florence of the South’.
- Then we head to one of Salento’s (southern Puglia) most beloved Pizzeria for our pizza making class with Rocco!
- For dinner we will enjoy our very own pizzas paired with local wines and craft beers.
- Transfer to the hotel Masseria Pizzofalcone.
Day 5: Otranto and cooking with fish at a typical Masseria
- After breakfast we visit the UNESCO coastal town of Otranto.
- Here we will have a seafood cooking class with a local chef, Gianni.
- Transfer to Supersano, visit to a stunning Masseria, structures unique to Puglia. Here we will visit an underground oil mill dating back to 15th Century and an older one of the 7th century.
- Dinner tonight will be a delicious four course feast in the beautiful courtyard garden, or in the underground oil mill, depending on weather.
- Return to the hotel.
Day 6: Cheese making, olive oil tasting masterclass and a farewell dinner
- This morning it’s cheese making at a coastal farmhouse located in Porsto Selvaggio National Park. Here we will also get to taste mozzarellas and a selection of other organic products.
- Lunch at the Masseria.
- Leasurly coastal walk visiting some of Puglia’s 10th Century coastal towers.
- Late afternoon visit to a family-owned olive oil estate for a memorable farewell dinner.
- Return to the hotel.
Day 7: Polignano a Mare & Departure
- Following breakfast we check out of our hotel.
- On our drive to the airport we visit Polignano, the ‘Balcony of Puglia’ a town which inspired the writings of Volare.
- Check-in at the airport and arrivederci!
Please note: This itinerary is subject to change depending on weather conditions and unexpected delays. We ask that you put your faith in the experience of our guides and tutors, who occasionally choose to slightly alter the program to ensure you have the best possible experience.
29 Mar – 4 Apr 2018 Book Now
4 – 10 Jun 2018 Book Now
3 – 9 Oct 2018 Book Now
As well as our fixed dates, Frui also offer tailored gastronomy holidays experiences to individuals and groups. Please contact one of our gastronomy holidays holiday specialists by emailing email@example.com.
“I go home feeling empowered and like I have genuinely learnt something.”